A healthy and nutritious breakfast can make a good morning even better. Myths and misconceptions are galore when it comes to a healthy breakfast. Many of the lip smacking breakfasts come with zero nutritional value, but they look so tempting that we fall for such delicacies. A healthy breakfast is not always healthy. Some of the assumed healthy and nutritious foodstuff can do your health more harm than good. Thus, one needs to get their facts right before zeroing upon a particular breakfast.
Dr. Pranoy Gadi's
MD - General Medicine
General Physician, Mahabubnagar • 1 year experience
- French toast - a perfect toast to unhealthy life: Ideally, a healthy breakfast should give you energy and keep you fit and active throughout the day. French toast is anything, but healthy and nutritious. It has negligible nutritional value. With this breakfast, all those rigorous exercises will prove to be futile. Some people go a step further. They team this already unhealthy breakfast with French fries and sausages. This palatable breakfast can give your waistline nightmares, not to forget the associated health complications. Bread toast with boiled or scrambled eggs is a much healthier and nutritious alternative.
- Cake and pastry - the sweet devil: Cakes and pastries for breakfast are sure to throw your health in jeopardy. Pastries and cakes are both simple carbohydrates. When taken in, these are immediately broken down to glucose. An elevated glucose level often results in an abnormal rise in insulin level. This can lead to serious health problems, with diabetes and obesity being the most common complications. There will inflammation affecting the whole body. Your skin will be the worst affected. It will lose its radiance and appear wrinkled and saggy.
- Donut for breakfast - a complete evil: It is the best way to welcome the unwanted calories and fats into your body. Donuts mostly contain trans- fats that can result in serious healthy complications. You will feel lethargic throughout the day. Obesity and donuts are like two faces of the same coin.
- The sugary juice - a road to obesity: For some people, the breakfast is incomplete without fruit juices. While fruit juices appear as a good, healthy option, the facts are just the opposite. Freshly prepared juices can still be accepted, but the packaged fruit juices are a big no. The packaged juices are loaded with sugar that can never do your health any good. Whole fruit is a much better and recommended option for your health.
- Bagels - a big no: When loaded with cream or cheese are no longer considered healthy. Flavoured yogurts are equally unhealthy and should be avoided. Before going for packaged cereals, the nutritional contents should be well read and understood.